Saturday, September 8, 2012

On the Road - The Lincoln Highway Tour - Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania

Here's a quote from my bio - 

"When Roz isn't writing, she's reading, or traipsing around the country on one adventure or another. No trip is too small, no tourist trap too cheesy, and no road unworthy of traveling."

I'm sure there are people who think that's an exaggeration, and this post is to prove them wrong.

On a recent trip to south central Pennsylvania, a tourist brochure introduced me to the Lincoln Highway Tour. 

The Lincoln Highway (Rt.30 through most of PA) was the first coast-to-coast highway in the United States. It extends from New York City to San Francisco. To preserve the unique history of this thoroughfare, the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor has established a Roadside Museum in  Bedford and Somerset Counties in Pennsylvania. 

As with my tour of covered bridges, there was just too much to see, so I had to pick and choose which wonders to visit. Fasten your seat belts - we're on our way!

Our first stop is one of many murals along the roadway depicting the history of travel through the region. This one is in Somerset County.
There are several of these vintage gas pumps along the route. They're  painted by local artists. I found this one in front of the Rt. 30 Antique store, and yes, I went in. It's a great place, filled with everything you can possible imagine!

Then we found this mural. The far side of the bar is also painted, but it's a busy road and we weren't in the mood to be flattened,so you'll have to take my word for it. Anyway, this one is in Bedford County. Just across the street is a Bison Farm, if you're into that sort of thing.

Next, we stopped at this old church and cemetery. My traveling companions had to  get out and traipse around photographing tombstones belonging to some ancestors of theirs. A storm was coming up and we were darned lucky we didn't get struck by lighting while we were there! Wouldn't that be a convenient?

The Pied Piper used to mark the entrance to Storyland, a  children's park. That closed several decades ago, so now the Piper heralds a shop that caters to the tourist crowd. And no, I did not go inside. *pats self on back*

Yep, that's a giant coffee pot! Built in 1925, it was moved to this spot in 2003. Originally built to attract weary travelers, I think it's been many things over the years. A long-time local resident told me it was once a bar, and they weren't allowed to speak of it in their home because it was reputed to be where the 'shady ladies' hung out - if you get my meaning. ;-)

No, that's not a shady lady! That's me!

Last, but by no means least on my mini Lincoln Highway tour is Dunkle's Gulf Station. This magnificent art-deco style station opened in 1933 and is still operating today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment