Wednesday, September 5, 2012

On the Road - Covered Bridges of Bedford & Somerset County, PA

If you know me at all, you know I never pass up an opportunity to wander around this beautiful country of ours. I recently spent a few days with my sister-in-law and her sister in south central Pennsylvania. They were there to visit relatives and do some family history research. I was there to sight see and make sure they didn't spend too much time in places filled with dusty record books.

I managed to get them out in the fresh air several times, as it turns out. One of the things I wanted to do was see some covered bridges. The area is known for having a plethora of them, so off we went. Here are a few we found.

Walter's Mill Bridge on the grounds of the Somerset County Historical Society

I just had to capture some of the craftsmanship on this lovely bridge! It was built in 1830 and is  60 ft. long and 12 ft. wide. It's open to foot traffic only now.

Here I am at the Trostletown Bridge which was built in 1845. 

A better view of the Trostletown Bridge. It's 104 ft long and 12 ft. wide and is no longer in use.

My traveling companions - Mary and Rita

Me at Glessner Bridge

Isn't it lovely? It was built in 1881, is 90 ft. long and 12 ft. wide, and it is still in use.

We were taking pictures of the Glessner Bridge when this  'Shades of The Bridges of Madison County' pick-up drove through/over it!

Colvin Bridge  built in 1866- Bedford County

That's my covered bridge tour! There were dozens of others, but  there was so much else to see that I had to draw the line somewhere or miss out on a bunch of other cool stuff. Stay tuned for the next installment - The Lincoln Highway Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment