Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Secret Life of Authors -Rue Allyn


My thanks to Roz Lee for inviting me to post on her blog.  I’m thrilled to be here and share the inside scoop on The Secret Life of Authors.

Spoiler alert:  If you don’t want to know what an author’s life is really like don’t read any further.  Just skip to the blurb for my current release, Off Limits.

I used to believe that authors led glamorous, exciting, even thrilling lives filled with fascinating people, exotic settings and heart-thumping adventures.  Every author earned millions in advance royalties, lived in mansions surrounded by servants, assistants, and adoring fans eager to satisfy  the author’s least whim.  Despite these luxuries (or perhaps because of them) all authors secretly suffered great tragedy, putting on a brave face for all those eager adoring people.  From the well of this suffering sprang an author’s creative force, the mystical power that allowed him or her to paint vivid unique word pictures that enthralled editors, agents, publishers and readers and compelled followers to beg and plead for more of the author’s work.  Despite these beliefs, I could only imagine an author’s life, and so that life remained shrouded in secrecy. 

Now I am a published author, and I know better.  If you don’t already know better, keep reading.  The big secret about the life of authors is that there isn’t one.  We are single, married, men, women, (sometimes even children), husband, wives, mothers, fathers, employed (i.e. we have day jobs), unemployed (i.e. we don’t have a day job and don’t earn enough from writing to claim it on our taxes), military veterans and active duty service members, Ph. D.s, high school drop outs, rich, poor, et cetera ad nauseum.  You name a human condition, I’m willing to bet that some author somewhere has that condition.  Because that statement about the human condition is true, then probably some author somewhere (or when) fits the fantastic description in my opening paragraph.  Most of us don’t. 

Earning a living as an author is hard work and the financial rewards may be small—very small.  No one can do the writing for you (not strictly true if you consider ghost writers, but suggest that you aren’t doing the writing, even if your name is on the work).  Writing is pretty much a DIY profession up to the point where someone else publishes the writer’s work.  And you may have noticed that self-publishing is on the rise, making the entire process from idea to point of sale DIY.  If there is a secret life lived by an author, that’s it.  

We are do it yourself professionals of all stripes with one goal in common to bring the best story possible to as many readers as we can reach. 

I’m including a short description and some links for my newest erotic romance, Off Limits, but be for you get distracted, please share your thoughts and questions about the ‘secret’ life of authors.  

Off Limits:  For Senior Chief Hank O’Mara no woman could compare with the sea until he met Lieutenant Bethany Morton. Only the sea could draw two passionate people of such opposite backgrounds together, and only US Navy regulations could keep them apart. Because fraternization between Officer and enlisted is forbidden, both Beth and Hank do their utmost to resist the passion and love growing between them. However, love proves stronger than either the sea or the USN. If they are to be together, Hank must sacrifice his career and Beth will risk the destruction of her professional dreams.


A Bit about Rue Allyn:  I wrote my first story around the age of five and read my first romance at the age of eight. I’ve been in love with being in love ever since. I’m happily married to my sweetheart of many, many years. We share the home of two cats, who condescend to allow me to feed them and clean their litter box. They occasionally permit me to pet them but demand my love and attention as their right. I am in awe of their feline ability to dominate with half a glance or a mere twitch of tail. I am insatiably curious, an avid reader and traveler. I love to hear from readers about your favorite books and real life adventures. I also love my work. Seriously, what could be more fun than sharing love and adventure with all your friends?

Thanks, Rue for stopping by today! I'm still searching for the glamorous life, determined to find it somewhere! Perhaps I should choose a different profession? LOL

Off Limits is available from - 




No comments:

Post a Comment